Friday 9 September 2011

grab a seat

My Sepia Victorian Park Bench - shot on iPhone 3GS

The original shot


Here's how I edited this iPhone photograph

Dynamic Light
I applied both the Orton and the Overcooked HDR filter to the image so see which I liked best. I preferred the Orton effect of soft focus light over the HDR, with all its hard detail. 

Noir
Set to Sepia, I placed a pool of light beneath the bench to lead the eye into the picture, then set all the dials to 100% so the image was incredibly bright. Gradually, I dropped the dials down to reveal just enough detail in the shot whilst keeping brightness very much the overall theme.


Two new photographs posted each week
Click here to subscribe by Email

2 comments:

  1. See, here's where the artistry comes in. From the original photo, you saw potential for something entirely different--then you set about creating the image.

    My IGs are so...random.

    Oddly enough, using Instagram makes me want to get more formal training. I'm thinking of taking a basic photography class--and finally learning how to use all the buttons and settings on my Canon Rebel as well as improve framing, composition, filter use on IG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine, my early IGs were very random, and I like variety in my images too.

    It's interesting that many people with huge followings on IG take the same kind of shot each time, architectural black and whites, sunsets, beaches, muted Earlybirds. It makes for a fantastic grid when you first look at their stream. I am not sure I can limit myself to one style so much, though.

    I'd say 'go for it' with the photography classes, all the traditional ideals of composition, light, storytelling, etc, still apply even though we have all these apps to dramatically alter our shots.

    And one think a lot of people don't do - take 25 shots to get The One, that's what professionals have always done and with digital cameras it's so easy to do it too.

    Anglo

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated and spam comments shall not pass.